Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Altar Decor

I'm torn on how to decorate the altar area for the wedding. It's such a pretty setting on its own, I don't really want to make it too fussy or obstruct the lake view. As a reminder, here's the wedding site video. The "i dos" will take place right in the middle of those bushes (but in front of them). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkurrIKISQHere are the options I've come up with:
  1. Wrought iron candleabras with floral arrangements in the tops. The candleabras rent for $40 each. The florist quoted me $175 each for the floral arrangements, plus tax & delivery. So...this has gotten expensive...$500 expensive.

  2. Black urns filled with floral arrangements (ferns, hanging baskets, whatever we find at HomeDepot that week, etc) and doctored with some curly willow, add'l flowers, etc. The wrought iron urns are on sale for $60 each. The others are likely cheaper at Home Depot or the like. If not black, we can spray paint. Flowers could be as simple or elaborate as we can do ourselves. I think this could be done for $250, right? So half the price of option 1.

  3. A rustic bench/table for the altar, adorned with a simple unity candle and perhaps a simple garland on the front. The minister and us would stand on the crowd side of the table (or I guess the minister could stand behind it?) This is a pic of a bench, not sure where to get a taller version. Maybe Dad could make it easily with his scrap wood so it will look weathered? Then we can have it on our porch forever, which I think is kinda cool. Who else has their wedding altar on their porch as a daily reminder of their commitment? I like this because it's so simple. This would likely be the least expensive of all, depending on where the bench came from.

Soo...what do you think will look the best without overpowering the site or overextending the pocketbook? We could combine option 2 & 3 if we needed to.

2 comments:

  1. I would say the simpler the better for the altar decor....Jason & I had to always step back and be like is this worth spending on this....I would go with the least expensive option personally, since it will only be part of the back drop for an hour at most.

    I really like the altar idea if your dad could build something that you guys could keep...very cool!!

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I don't have a google account so had to go through Jason's :)

    Carey

    ReplyDelete